Small Engine Technician


Small Engine Technicians service and repair small gasoline and diesel-powered equipment such as garden tractors, outboard motors, chain saws and lawn mowers.

  • read and interpret performance codes and standards such as manufacturer service manuals, parts bulletins, and technical updates
  • review work orders and discuss work to be performed with supervisors or customers
  • determine estimates of repair costs
  • assemble and operate small power equipment
  • inspect and test small engines using various diagnostic and testing devices
  • perform scheduled maintenance on equipment
  • advise customers on the work performed and general condition of the equipment
  • document work activities as well as write operational reports

Personal Qualities

  • You are physically fit with good finger/manual dexterity and manual abilities
  • You can work indoors or outdoors in various weather conditions, noise and fumes, evenings or weekends and during peak season
  • You like to study and keep up with changing technology
  • You enjoy figuring out what is wrong with something and fixing it
  • You have the physical stamina to be on your feet for long periods of time, and bend down or crouch frequently

Career Opportunities

  • As a Small Engine Technician, you may be employed by dealer service shops, garages, and by independent business establishment. Many Small Engine Technicians own their own businesses.
  • Small Engine Technicians may do a lot of heavy lifting, bending and standing. They generally work a 40 hour work week but work may be seasonal depending on the type of engine (lawnmower, snow-blower, golf carts etc.)

Educational/Training Requirements

  • Completion of Grade 12 with a secondary school diploma, with credits in Math, Science and English.
  • Apprenticeship training of 5,000 hours via on-the-job training and in-school instruction
  • However, a Small Engine Technician is an unrestricted trade which means that you do not need a Certificate of Qualification to work in this trade. Your in-school component is comprised of 2 eight week blocks of training and could take place at a community college near you.
Students & Parents: Speak with your guidance counsellor today to register for OYAP.